Effective date: September 22, 2023
Last updated: September 22, 2023
At TLC, we consider the respect of everyone’s right to privacy as a fundamental value. That’s why we place great importance on preserving and ensuring the protection and confidentiality of the personal information you entrust to us.
This Policy consists of the following elements:
What personal information do we collect?
How do we collect your personal information?
For what purposes do we use your personal information?
Who has access to your personal information and with whom can it be shared?
How long do we retain your personal information?
How do we ensure the security and confidentiality of your personal information?
What are your rights regarding your personal information?
How can you contact us?
Respecting privacy and protecting personal information are essential to us. This Policy aims to inform you of the reasons and the manner in which TLC, or anyone acting on our behalf, will collect, use, and disclose your personal information.
2. What personal information do we collect?
TLC may collect personal information in various forms, but only through lawful means and only for the necessary purposes disclosed to you, as described in this Policy, or in accordance with applicable laws.
The personal information collected and its sensitivity may vary depending on the context of the interactions between you and TLC.
Personal information that may be collected, used, and disclosed can include:
- Name and contact details: First name, last name, email address, postal address, phone number, and other similar information used to communicate with you.
- Demographic information: Information about you, such as your age, gender, country, and preferred language of communication.
- Medical information: Medical records, consultation dates, medication lists, prescriptions, etc.
- Information collected when you visit our websites, such as:
- Data about the websites visited and usage.
- Location data: Information about your device’s location. For example, location data may be collected from a device’s IP address or from your account profile data indicating a less precise location, such as a city name.
- Other data: Other data provided when you use our website, including data from Google Analytics and data received via certain social networks.
- Any other personal information voluntarily provided by you.
We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 14. If you are a minor younger than 14, please do not provide us with personal information without the express consent of a parent or guardian. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your children have provided us with personal information, please contact us.
3. How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information from the following sources:
- Directly from you: We may collect personal information that you provide to us directly, for example, in person at one of our clinics, over the phone, or via email.
- On our websites: When you browse our websites, or our online and mobile services, we collect personal information about you. This personal information may be collected through “cookies,” “invisible pixels,” or directly on our sites.
- From other sources: Depending on the situation, we may need to collect personal information about you from other individuals, organizations, or entities, for example, from treating physicians or specialists, in accordance with applicable laws.
4. For what purposes do we use your personal information?
We use personal information about you to serve you in your daily life and to comply with our legal obligations in accordance with applicable laws.
TLC may use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- Providing healthcare services: We use personal information collected to verify your identity, assess your eligibility for the requested healthcare service, and provide the service itself.
- Billing and payment for our services: We use the personal information collected to invoice our services and receive payment for the services and treatments you have received.
- Managing our operations and activities: We mainly use personal information collected to monitor and investigate incidents, manage claims, and ensure the safety of the public, our patients, and our employees.
- Communicating with you: We use personal information to diagnose and resolve issues related to the services provided, provide other support and assistance services, and generally communicate with you.
- Analyzing data and doing research: We use personal information for research purposes, including scientific research and public interest, in accordance with applicable laws. In such cases, we anonymize your personal information in an irreversible manner so that it no longer contains information from which you can be directly or indirectly identified.
- Supporting marketing initiatives and business development: With your consent, we may use the personal information we have collected, including personal information provided in the context of contests or draws, to communicate directly with you to offer you research opportunities, services, procedures, or documentation offered by TLC that may interest you or from which you may benefit. If you no longer wish to receive this information, you have the right to request removal from our list using the contact details provided in Section 10 of this Policy.
- Any purpose permitted or required by law.
5. Who has access to your personal information and with whom can it be shared?
Access to your personal information is limited to TLC personnel, consultants, and representatives who need to access it in the course of their duties. Our staff, consultants, and representatives are committed to protecting the confidentiality of the personal information they need for their work.
We do not share your personal information with companies, organizations, or individuals outside of TLC, except with our authorized service providers and partners who need access to personal information for the purposes listed in this Policy and within its limits, as well as in the following cases:
- With your consent.
- Our service providers for data transmission and hosting.
- For legal reasons: We may disclose personal information outside of our organization if access to it is necessary to comply with applicable laws and regulations.
Cookies used serve primarily to track the search history related to the session to facilitate the user’s online browsing experience. It is important to note that enabling the cookie option can allow other servers to install cookies on your system, depending on the chosen configuration. You can configure your browser settings to notify you of the presence of cookies, thus giving you the option to accept or reject them.
Please note that our website may contain links or references to third-party websites. This Policy ceases to apply when leaving our website, and TLC is not responsible for the collection or processing of personal information by these third parties or through these external sources.
7. How long do we retain your personal information?
TLC retains your personal information for as long as necessary to provide our services, manage our operations, and comply with our legal and regulatory obligations (healthcare providers, for example, must comply with legal record-keeping obligations). When we no longer need it, we securely destroy your personal information or anonymize it so that it no longer identifies you.
8. How do we ensure the security and confidentiality of your personal information?
During the retention period, TLC takes reasonable physical and technical measures to secure data containing personal information. For example, we use encryption technology to encode sensitive information, as well as firewalls and intrusion detection software.
Your personal information is stored on the servers of our service providers in the province of Quebec, and for some cloud correspondence services, we use trusted providers with servers located in Canada, the United States, and Ireland. By using the website, you consent to the transfer of personal information outside of the province of Quebec. Privacy laws may differ from one jurisdiction to another, and when located outside of the province of Quebec, such personal information is subject to the laws of the jurisdiction in which it is located and may need to be disclosed to governments, courts, law enforcement agencies, or regulatory authorities in that jurisdiction, in accordance with the laws of that jurisdiction. However, our practices regarding your personal information will continue to be governed by this Policy at all times.
Once the retention period has expired, personal information is destroyed. Only statistics or reports containing depersonalized and anonymized data that no longer identifies you may be retained for extended periods.
9. What are your rights regarding your personal information?
Upon written request and confirmation of your identity, you will be allowed to access the personal information we have and request necessary corrections, if required, in accordance with applicable laws. To ensure that the personal information we have about you is accurate and up to date, please inform us immediately of any changes in your personal information. If we use and/or disclose your personal information based on your consent, you can always withdraw that consent. Please note, however, that withdrawing your consent may prevent you from benefiting from some of our services, in whole or in part. Subject to applicable data protection laws, you may have additional rights, including the right to be forgotten and the right to data portability in a structured and commonly used format, under certain conditions.
If you have questions or comments about the Policy or our practices regarding the protection of personal information, including how we use your personal information, or if you want to know how to exercise your rights regarding the processing of your personal information, including making a complaint, you can contact or submit your complaint to our Privacy Officer using the contact information provided in Section 10 of this Policy. You also have the right to complain directly to a data protection authority about the collection, use, or processing of your personal information.
10. How can you contact us?
For any questions, comments, or complaints, you can contact our Privacy Officer: